The poor potato tends to start out nutritiously and then tends to get a bad rap because of its transformation into french fries that tend not to be prepared as healthfully as they could be, loaded baked potatoes and the whole all carbs are bad carbs misunderstanding.
Now that even my current home area of Las Vegas is starting to feel crisp weather, a baked potato can be a great comfort food choice if done right. It's not the potato, which is rich in B vitamins, potassium and fiber (if you eat the skin), has zero grams of trans fat, and just 130-160 calories (small to medium size), that's the problem. The secret to a satisfying, delicious and healthy baked potato is to use the right healthy baked potato toppings.
1. Instead of butter or margarine, use a substitute like Smart Balance
2. Sour cream should be fat-free ideally and certainly low fat otherwise
3. Make a pizza baked potato out of marinara sauce and fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
4. Give the yummy, but notoriously fattening, bacon and cheddar baked potato a healthy food makeover by using fat free shredded cheddar cheese and a Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strip crumbled on top
5. Make a Southwestern baked potato with low fat taco Sauce, black beans and fat free shredded cheddar cheese
6. A broccoli and cheese baked potato is just right with fat free shredded cheddar cheese and broccoli florets.
BONUS TIPS: Make your baked potato faster by using a pre-washed, cellophane-wrapped and ready to microwave version available at your local supermarket. Make it organic if you don't mind a little more work. And if you like sweet potatoes, you get extra nutrition, so give yourself and A+!
Challenge yourself to make your baked potato a healthy one by being creative with healthy toppings. What is your favorite? We want to know!
Get a FREE 3-chapter book excerpt from Have Your Cheeseburger And Keep Your Health Too! and never miss another blog post by joining my list CLICK HERE Have you given The Healthy Food Review Facebook Page A Like? CLICK HERE
--Melanie R. Jordan, Author of Have Your Cheeseburger And Keep Your Health Too! Available 24/7 at http://www.HealthyEatingCoach.com
"Healthy eating with favorite comfort foods...it's deliciously possible!"
Don't miss a post--subscribe to The Healthy Food Review feed.
Check out more of Melanie's empowering publications on work-at-home lifestyles, foreclosure investing and learn about her Marketing and Infopreneur Consulting and Coaching Services at http://www.SunLoverPublishing.com
Check out Melanie's other Blogs and Podcasts:
NEW! NEW! NEW! Melanie's podcast on infopreneuring--What You Know Is Worth More Than You Know(TM) at http://www.WhatYouKnowIsWorthMorePodcast.com
What You Know Is Worth More Than You Know - The Blog For Infopreneurs at http://www.WhatYouKnowIsWorthMore.com
Vegas Inside Scoop for Las Vegas locals and Las Vegas visitors at http://www.VegasInsideScoop.com
Copyright SunLover Publishing LLC 2008